Reflections

Reflections

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Brokeoff Peak

A few weeks ago I hiked Brokeoff peak in Lassen Park. It was my first venture on this trail and I was thoroughly pleased with my decision to go. I had actually planned to climb Lassen Peak but the trail was closed. Not one to give up a day in the woods I switched to Brokeoff. The hike took me through a variety of  surroundings: Deep forest, lush meadows, barren wind swept rock, each one has it's own appeal and I find them all fascinating. The pictures below are in order ( 92.3% accuracy) from trail head to peak. Enjoy the journey.
Just the view from the parking lot is worth the trip

The first part of the trail winds through a passage of trees and bushes that resemble a tunnel it is pretty cool.

As I gained elevation the view of Lassen just kept getting better.

The lower part of the trail travels through some amazing stands of pine and fir trees.

I had been wondering if I would find any fresh animal tracks and I found this the next time I stopped.

The picture does not do justice to this view of this pond. It is an amazing mix of rock, plant and water coming together in  perfect harmony. I would have stayed here longer if I had the time to spare. 

This shot was taken at the edge of the pond.

Farther up the trail there was another meadow that the trail crossed. My lovely and observant wife pointed out that this looks like a heart. Which it does.

This was my view of Brokeoff as I crossed the meadow.

The north end of the meadow was broken into multiple ponds. The grass was amazingly green.

As I started to clear the tree line the view to the east was fantastic.

I don't know exactly what it is about this picture. As I was traveling along I looked up and saw this stump laying over and the contrast of the old wood and the new green growth struck me. 

As I continued on the trail it took me to the backside of the stump where this little guy was having lunch.

No hike is complete without at least one deer.
Moving out of the trees and into the open has it's rewards.

South
Pretty much above tree line now. The view just keeps getting better.


I am always amazed at the damage that snow can do. The force of the snow pushing down caused this tree to split and then bend. It's pretty awesome to look at.
As I reached the turn of the last switchback I found a side trail that leads north west to the edge of Brokeoff. I got my first look a Mt Shasta from here.
North
Just to prove I was really there.
This is an amazing spot to look down from. The drop from the top of Brokeoff is almost 1100 ft.
Lassen Peak
View from the top
Mt Shasta
Looking West towards Redding. That's my gear on the rocks. Well that's it. It was one of the better hikes I have done and I will certainly be going back. I hope to climb it again when there is snow for a slightly different experience.


































2 comments:

  1. Awesome pics, bro. Maybe we can do a father/daughter trip with the girls next year in the early Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support. There are plenty of places to go. lets plan something.

    ReplyDelete